PDX Summer School provides tutoring services for low income ELL students over the summer in order to reach or maintain grade level proficiency. The program furthermore provides its students with exposure to and practice with native English language speakers. Working directly inconjunction with SUN, we will have 1 hour tutoring sessions 5 days a week for 4 weeks. Students will be divided into groups of 4 with a specific teacher. We will teach a total of 8 classes each day.
- Improve reading, writing, and math skills for every student to advance toward achieving proficiency in their grade level
- Maintain and build on core academic content area for all students
- Increase parental and community involvement of families with their students’ education Improve student attitude
- Provided by PDX Summer School and is tailored to the learning needs of individual students
- Directly addresses student needs in relation to achieving the Oregon standards
- Provides students with the academic tools needed to achieve grade level
- Are certified by the State of Oregon and have gone through the necessary background checks
- Have the resources and ability to counter the academic challenges facing low income, ESL students
- Are dedicated to achieving the common goal of Improving student’s ability to meet grade level proficiency standards
Applications will be sent out in the Spring to 1st-5th grade students at Harrison Park. Students will be selected by the PDX Summer School board based on need and availability. Participation will be limited to 32 students.